Abgar's Story

I am unsure of what to say. All I can say is that I am scared. Very scared . My hands shake violently as I hastily scribble down a few words onto the coarse wooden tablet. This is my only hope. *In the month of Tammuz , day 25 of the year 569, I , Abgar, son of abbshamay, navigator have come here , to the country of Nysy: bless the god who brought us here, and you , the man who reads. that is all I am able to write . I an so tired. I am so weary. I set the tablet against a mound, careful that it will not fall down , and go on my way, through the pitch blackness of this grand cave. I have been trapped here for days. It started when i left Plmyra, That great oasis city in the Levantine desert. I was to travel to the city of Aksum in ethiopia to deliver silk textiles. Then i was to sail the vast sea to the lands of Persia and sell similar textiles at the cities of Istakhr , Ekbatana , and Ctesiphon, the Persian capital on the Tigris. Fom there, I was supposed to return to my homeland by caravan and receive payment. However , once I had left Aksum , the storm god , Baalshamin wrought a great monsoon wind upon my vessel and ran us aground at the island of Nysy. It is almost uninhabited , but my friends , Elkud and Zabdibel, had decided to seek out locals for shelter. I was to explore the nearby coastal cave to find food . I was not ten cubits inside when I tumbled down a shaft and into the deep bowels of this cave. I was unable to climp back up , and so i was forced to go further into the tunnels . There were no signs of humanity save for inscriptions of a foreign tongue that i could not read . My hopes of returning to the surface quickly vanished into the moist air around me . I tearfully accepted this futility , crawled into a corner , and let sleep embrace me . 

I was awoken at some odd hour of the night . Thw cave was eerily silent , but there wasa pungent odor emanating from the depths of the tunnels . It smelled as if someone had boiled a rotten carcass in blood.  I rubbed my eyes and stood up. Then , the sound started . A clicking sound , like somebody picking at their nails .  I progressed into the the darkness .  I held my hands in front of me , the darkness concealing whatever lay ahead of me . The sound was louder now , but it seemed to be coming from two different directions. That is when I reached a fork in the tunnel . The smell had gone , But the sound had not. In fact , there were two of them now. The same sound was emitted from each side of the fork.  I  ventured into the one on my right .As I walked , the tunnel seemed to shrink ever s
o slightly with each step I took . A LL the while , the sound was geting louder and louder , until I reached a dead end. the sound was clear as day : it was coming from all around. 
Then , it abruptly stopped. The smell returned, so overbearing i almost fainted . Slowly , I turned around Immediately , my heart stopped  This thing stood before me. I can not explain what it was. t was a hunched down, twisted human- like thing . It had grey skin , and  piercing yellow eyes . Its hands and feet were contorted and bore sharp white claws , which were curved like scythes. There were no eyes . Its mouths grinned wider than possible, and this grimace revealed scores of small , sharp sharp teeth in rows. the thing opened its mouth even wider and let out an ear-splitting shriek, leaping towards me like a lion . 
I awoke in a sweat. Nothing. There were no sounds , nor any ripe smelling air. once again , I stood up and looked around . The cave was still dark , But the air had become thicker,  like the mist hanging over the Efqa spring on a hot summer day . I took one step, and almost collapsed. The floor of the cave had become .... soft .It was like mud , but more dense . It still felt like rock when I touched it with my hands , and yet, it squelched underfoot. The walls of the cave shuddered . Was I dreaming ? It simply could not be . The walls were pulsating like veins . I kept walking. Then , the clicking started again . The smell returned as well. I was mortified , too scared to move on fo fear of death . I pulled a tablet from beneath that mound , and as soon as i do , the floor of the cave becomes softer . My feet sink into it and leave deep imperssions . The clicking sound stops . Light comes from a side tunnel of the cave , and i move towards it . Suddenly , the floor gives way again and i find myself falling for a seconed time. I hit the ground  hard and the tunnels start spinning . I an so dazed , i only have the energy to stare upwards at the ceiling.  A face appears the thing is back . it is reaching for me . I start to drift off and it smiles. The world becomes back , my eyelids close, and a thousand tiny pins into my skin 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE NEW OLD HOUSE (bat out of hell 821)

Seeing Red (The First Day of School)

The Happiest Day of My Life